Ontario’s SIU investigating after fatal shooting during police response to Anicinabe Park fire in Kenora

The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating Ontario Provincial Police’s response to a fire in Kenora, saying an OPP officer fatally shot a man in Kenora’s Anicinabe Park.

Officials have provided few details on what happened at the park, but on Tuesday evening, the SIU confirmed to CBC News it became involved after the man was shot. 

Emergency personnel were on the scene and “working through the incident” at around 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to an initial Facebook post from the City of Kenora’s page. It also said it had asked the public to remain away from the area and use alternative routes as much as possible, as the the beach, boat launch and public park area have been closed.

WATCH | Fire breaks out at Anicinabe Park in Kenora: 

RAW: Fire at Anicinabe Park office in Kenora, Ont.

3 hours ago

Duration 0:55

Fire crews in Kenora, Ont., are working to put out what officials are calling a “significant fire” at the store at Anicinabe Park. Rachel Hall was there and sent CBC News this video. 

OPP issued a statement saying one person “suffered injuries and was transported to hospital by Emergency Medical Services.” 

The police then notified the SIU, which invoked its mandate to investigate what happened. 

The independent government agency investigates conduct of police that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault or the discharge of a firearm at a person.

OPP did not specify how the individual was hurt. 

Gunshots heard

Two people told CBC News they were at the park and heard gunshots fired.

“We were kind of, like watching the fire trucks and all of a sudden, we heard three gunshots go off, boom, boom, boom,”  Tracy Arvelin said. “That really scared me.” 

Rachel Hall said something similar, noting she was driving by the scene when she heard three gunshots. 

Anicinabe Park said in a Facebook post that its staff members were unharmed during the incident. 

The City of Kenora said in a Facebook update that the police investigation of the scene at the park was expected to last into Wednesday or Thursday.

The main entrance to the park will be closed off to traffic while that investigation is ongoing, but the secondary exit will be open to allow park visitors to get in and out.