It’s been 25 years since all metro Winnipeg schools were forced closed due to weather, but on Tuesday night the heads of the divisions said schools and administration offices across the city will be closed Wednesday and Thursday, and that staff are encouraged to stay home.
At least one of the divisions — Pembina Trails — indicated it would be moving classes to online learning.
The news comes after several school divisions outside the Perimeter issued notices Tuesday warning parents, students and teachers to expect in-person classes to be cancelled Wednesday due to a serious snowstorm in the forecast.
Divisions across southern Manitoba are preparing for potential closures that could last more than one day.
“As in-class learning may be disrupted for a few days, our teachers will have conversations with their students about learning activities/assignments that they can continue to work on while at home,” a notice from Lord Selkirk School Division said earlier on Tuesday.
Other divisions to pre-emptively close schools division-wide, include Brandon and Pine Creek.
“It is our hope that the timing of this announcement provides parents the necessary time to prepare,” Brandon School Division superintendent Mathew Gustafson said in a statement.
“We have not had a closure of all schools in Brandon for a very long time and this decision is not made lightly.”
Pine Creek School Division said “it would be reasonable to anticipate that schools will be closed on Thursday as well,” though the division plans to provide an update on whether that is indeed the case.
Confirmed Wednesday division closures:
- All metro Winnipeg school divisions.
- Brandon School Division.
- Beautiful Plains School Division.
- Fort La Bosse School Division.
- Mountain View School Division.
- Park West School Division.
- Pine Creek School Division.
- Portage la Prairie School Division.
- Prairie Rose School Division.
- Rolling River School Division.
- Southwest Horizon School Division.
- Sunrise School Division.
Confirmed post-secondary closures:
- Brandon University (Wednesday and Thursday).
- Assiniboine Community College (Wednesday).
- Red River College Polytech, remote operations only (Wednesday and Thursday).
- University of Manitoba, remote operations only (Wednesday and Thursday).
- University of Winnipeg (Wednesday and Thursday).