Brandon police and Manitoba Hydro are on scene Sunday at a suspected underground gas leak blocks away from the Keystone Centre.
Both police and Hydro confirmed in tweets that they are asking people to avoid the area.
Traffic at 22nd Street and Brandon Avenue is blocked in all directions.
Hydro crews are going door-to-door to ensure residents’ safety.
Brandon Police and BFES are on scene of an underground gas leak. Please avoid the area of 22nd St and Brandon Ave, as traffic is blocked in all directions. <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/bdnmb?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#bdnmb</a>
Brandon: crews investigating reported natural gas leak at corner of Brandon Ave & 22nd St. and going door-to-door to ensure safety of residents.
On its website, Manitoba Hydro says when there’s a suspected gas leak:
- If inside a building, leave the doors open as you exit.
- Do not smoke, light matches or lighters, operate electrical switches, appliances, phones, vehicles, or create any other source of ignition or sparks.
- Starting a vehicle may create a spark, so you may have to walk out.
- Shut down equipment (such as lawn mowers, tractors, and power tools) if it is safe to do so.
- Alert anyone who is nearby and stay upwind.