6th Annual Mayor’s Scholarship for Community Leadership Recipients Awarded by Mayor Bowman
Released: 12:28 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – Today, Mayor Brian Bowman hosted a virtual reception to award the five successful recipients of this year’s Mayor’s Scholarship for Community Leadership.
“Now in its 6th year, the annual presentation of the Mayor’s Scholarship for Community Leadership has helped support a total of 30 high school students for their leadership in our community,” said Mayor Brian Bowman. “It’s reassuring to know that there are young leaders like these who are working at creating positive, transformative change to the world around them. Congratulations to this year’s recipients and thanks to all who applied.”
This year’s five scholarship recipients are:
- Alexina Nault
- High School: Collège Sturgeon Heights Collegiate
- Community and Volunteer Activities: Cadet, National Indigenous Engagement committee member, Youth Parliament, Girl Guides
- Educational Goal: Currently enrolled in the Université de Saint-Boniface and plans to go to law school
- Avinashpall Singh
- High School: River East Collegiate
- Community and Volunteer Activities: Co-Chair Youth Nuclear Peace Summit, ICAN Cities Appeal, Co-President River East Key Club, founded @rec_cares to provide mental health awareness and support for youth during the pandemic
- Educational Goal: Currently enrolled at the University of Manitoba and plans to pursue Biological Sciences followed by Medical School
- Devanie Ashly Persaud
- High School: Windsor Park Collegiate
- Community and Volunteer Activities: Sage Creek Outdoor Games, United Way Youth Chapter, Harvest Manitoba, Siloam Mission, student council member, created Asian Heritage Month Display at school
- Educational Goal: Plans to pursue Clinical Psychology at the University of Manitoba
- Nyja Bond
- High School: Westwood Collegiate
- Volunteer Activities: Founded Keira’s Krusade in memory of her sister, Keira’s Kit backpack, Keira’s Winter Classic, volunteer at Grace Hospital
- Educational Goal: Plans to enter the Faculty of Sciences at the University of Manitoba
- Paige Moritz
- High School: Dakota Collegiate
- Volunteer Activities: Ringette and soccer player and volunteer coach, Siloam Mission holiday support, Harvest Manitoba school food drive
- Educational Goal: Plans to pursue Education at the University of Manitoba.
The Mayor’s Scholarship for Community Leadership is an annual initiative that rewards the achievements of Winnipeg’s future leaders and supports them on the path towards their educational and career goals. Each of the five scholarship recipients will receive a one-thousand dollar scholarship in recognition of their consistent and outstanding dedication to making their community a better place to live by solving community problems or addressing a community need.
Community leadership can be demonstrated through activities that promote racial and social inclusion, drive reconciliation, encourage environmental stewardship, and support or empower Winnipeg’s less fortunate. The Winnipeg Foundation manages the fund for the Mayor’s Scholarship including issuing scholarship cheques and tax receipts, as required. The Mayor’s Office manages application intake, and award recipients are selected by an independent selection panel.
Upcoming temporary closures on Graham Avenue and Academy Road
Released: 1:48 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – Two major streets will temporarily close in the coming days.
Graham Avenue, from Main Street to Fort Street, will be closed on Friday, July 16 at 9 a.m., until Monday, January 31, 2022 at 2 p.m., for building construction. Pedestrian access will be maintained.
The on-ramp from westbound Academy Road, used to access the northbound direction on the St. James Bridge, will be closed on Saturday, July 17 at 7 a.m. until Sunday, July 18 at 9 p.m. for road repairs. One westbound lane of traffic on Academy Road will be maintained, and motorists will be allowed to turn right on Kenaston Boulevard to travel north over the bridge. Pedestrian access will be maintained
For regular updates on City of Winnipeg lane closures and to view lane closures on an interactive map, please visit City of Winnipeg – Regional Lane Closures.
Download and use the Waze app for real-time traffic and incident updates.
View original article here Source