Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Burrows Avenue

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Burrows Avenue

Released: 9:30 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 8:11 p.m. on November 11, 2019, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of fire in two-storey townhouse complex in the 1700 block of Burrows Avenue. Upon arrival on scene, crews found smoke and fire in a kitchen in one of the suites. An offensive attack was launched and at 8:20 p.m. the fire was declared under control. Smoke and fire damage was contained to the single suite.

Occupants of the suite had self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. No injuries were reported. No damage estimates are available at this time. The cause of te fire is believed to be accidental due to unattended cooking. Residents are reminded of the following safety strategies:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time.
  • Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop.
  • Oil should be always be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the pot with a metal lid. Never use water to put out an oil fire.