Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Larsen Avenue
Released: 5:21 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – At 2:08 p.m. on Tuesday, March 2, 2021, the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in a one-and-a-half-storey, single-family home in the 300 block of Larsen Avenue.
Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered smoke in the house. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was very quickly declared under control.
All occupants of the home safely self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. One individual was assessed on scene by paramedics but did not require transport to hospital. No other injuries were reported. Firefighters located one cat in the home and reunited it with the owner.
The fire is believed to be accidental, caused by the improper use of a candle. Residents are reminded to take special care when using candles, always following these safety tips:
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Use approved non-combustible candleholders and place them on a firm, non-slip surface.
- Avoid putting lit candles in a drafty area to prevent uneven burning and wax dripping.
- Extinguish a candle when it burns down to within two inches of its holder or base.
- Keep candles away from any flammable materials, decorations, curtains, or other combustible material like bedding or cushions.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to half an inch and remove excess wax before storage. Long, crooked wicks can cause uneven burning and wax drippings.
- Always keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
View original article here Source