Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Pembina Highway

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Pembina Highway

Released: 9:31 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB – On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 7:41 p.m., the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in a three-storey apartment block in the 2300 block of Pembina Highway. Upon arrival on scene, crews found heavy smoke coming from one of the suites and launched an offensive attack. The fire was declared under control at 8:26 p.m.

All occupants of the complex had self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews.

Paramedics assessed one patient on scene but no transport to hospital was required. No other injuries were reported.

Damage was mostly contained to the suite where the fire originated. All occupants, with the exception of those from the damaged suite, were able to return to their suites once crews completed ventilation of the building.

The cause of the fire is considered accidental due to unattended cooking. Residents are reminded of the following safety strategies:

  • Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time.
  • Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop.
  • Oil should always be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the pot with a metal lid. Never use water to put out an oil fire.

No damage estimates are available at this time.