Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Sinclair Street

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fire on Sinclair Street

Released: 8:25 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 1:22 a.m. on Friday, May 22, 2020, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to an automatic alarm for a fire in a housing complex in the 1000 block of Sinclair Street. Upon arrival on scene, crews found the automatic fire sprinkler system had activated and kept the fire from extending beyond the room of origin. Crews then worked to ventilate smoke from the building.

Full evacuation of the complex was not required. One individual from the suite of the fire’s origin was treated by paramedics on scene and transported to hospital in unstable condition. No other injuries were reported.

The fire is believed to be accidental, caused by the improper use of a candle. Residents are reminded to take special care when using candles, always following these safety tips:

  • Never leave lit candles unattended.
  • Use approved non-combustible candleholders and place them on a firm, non-slip surface.
  • Avoid putting lit candles in a drafty area to prevent uneven burning and wax dripping.
  • Extinguish a candle when it burns down to within two inches of its holder or base.
  • Keep candles away from any flammable materials, decorations, curtains, or other combustible material like bedding or cushions.
  • Keep candle wicks trimmed to half an inch and remove excess wax before storage. Long, crooked wicks can cause uneven burning and wax drippings.
  • Always keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children.