Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fires on Austin Street North and Dalemore Lane
Released: 8:52 a.m.
Winnipeg, MB – At 12:46 a.m. on Monday, July 27, 2020, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey home in the 200 block of Austin Street North.
When crews arrived on scene, they encountered heavy flames and smoke coming from the home.
Crews launched an offensive attack, but deteriorating conditions forced them to switch to a defensive attack, using aerial ladders and an exterior attack.
Crews deployed the WFPS drone for situational awareness. Nearby homes were temporarily evacuated as a precaution and firefighters worked to ensure the fire did not spread to any other buildings.
Two people were assessed by paramedics on scene and one was transported to hospital. One firefighter sustained an injury and was transported to hospital in stable condition.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. No damage estimates are available, but the home sustained significant water, smoke, and fire damage.
Crews will remain on scene to extinguish hot spots and to ensure the scene is safe.
At 8:05 p.m. on Sunday, July 26, 2020, the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in the 100 block of Dalemore Lane.
When crews arrived on scene, they encountered heavy flames and smoke coming from the home. Crews launched an offensive attack, declaring the fire under control at 8:40 p.m.
All occupants safely self-evacuated prior to crew arrival. No injuries were reported. No damage estimates are available.
Preliminary investigation reveals the fire was caused by improper disposal of charcoal barbecue materials. This incident is a good reminder to residents about the importance of safe grilling practices:
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals cool completely before disposing them in an empty metal container. Ash is a very effective insulator. As a result charcoal commonly burns for many hours after using it to cook. Extinguish briquettes fully with water prior to retiring for the night.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup form the grills and the trays below the grill.
- Place your grill far away from your home, deck railings, and out from under eaves troughs and overhanging trees or branches.
- Never leave your grill unattended and keep children and pets far away from the grill.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.