Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fires on Carpathia Road and Victor Street
Released: 8:35 a.m.
Winnipeg, MB – At 11:53 p.m. on November 11, 2020, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey townhouse in the 400 block of Carpathia Road.
When crews arrived on scene, they encountered heavy smoke coming from the structure and launched an offensive attack. The fire was declared under control at 12:10 a.m.
All four occupants of the home safely self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. They were assessed by on-scene paramedics and all transported to hospital. Firefighters located and brought one cat to safety.
The fire is believed to be accidental, caused by the improper use of a candle. Residents are reminded to take special care when using candles, always following these safety tips:
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Use approved non-combustible candleholders and place them on a firm, non-slip surface.
- Avoid putting lit candles in a drafty area to prevent uneven burning and wax dripping.
- Extinguish a candle when it burns down to within two inches of its holder or base.
- Keep candles away from any flammable materials, decorations, curtains, or other combustible material like bedding or cushions.
- Keep candle wicks trimmed to half an inch and remove excess wax before storage. Long, crooked wicks can cause uneven burning and wax drippings.
- Always keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
At 1:22 a.m. on November 12, 2020, the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in an unoccupied two-and-a-half storey house in the 300 block of Victor Street.
Upon arrival on scene, crews found smoke coming from the home. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was declared under control at 2:05 a.m.
Crews completed a search of the home and no occupants were found. No injuries were reported.
Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical failure. No damage estimates are available at this time.
View original article here Source