Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to fires on Maryland Street and Pembina Highway
Released: 11:39 a.m.
Winnipeg, MB – Last evening, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to two apartment building fires.
Maryland Street Fire
At 8:12 p.m. on Friday, April 2, 2021, the WFPS responded to a fire alarm in a three-storey apartment building in the 500 block of Maryland Street.
Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered smoke in the building. An offensive fire attack was launched and the fire was quickly declared under control, containing it to the suite where it originated.
All occupants of the building were temporarily evacuated and no injuries were reported. Following the ventilation of the building, all were able to return to their suites with the exception of occupants from the suite in which the fire originated.
The fire is believed to be accidental, caused by unattended cooking. No damage estimates are currently available.
Pembina Highway Fire
At 9:16 p.m. on Friday, April 2, 2021, WFPS crews responded to reports of smoke in an eight-storey apartment building in the 1800 block of Pembina Highway.
Upon arrival on scene, crews determined the smoke was from a kitchen fire in one of the suites. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was declared under control at 9:50 p.m., with fire damage contained to a single suite.
Occupants of the building were temporarily evacuated, with the majority able to return to their suites once the fire was extinguished. No injuries were reported.
This fire is believed to be accidental, caused by unattended cooking. No damage estimates are currently available.
Residents are reminded of the following safety strategies to prevent kitchen fires:
- Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. Stove burners should always be turned off when leaving the kitchen, even for a short time.
- Anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains — should always be kept away from the stovetop.
- Oil should always be heated slowly. If cooking oil catches fire and the fire is small and manageable, use a kitchen fire extinguisher or cover the pot with a metal lid. Never use water to put out an oil fire.
View original article here Source