Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to gas leaks on King Edward Street and Rathgar Avenue

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to gas leaks on King Edward Street and Rathgar Avenue

Released: 3:20 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB – The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to two gas leaks on the morning of Tuesday, February 23, 2021.

King Edward Street

At 9:52 a.m., the WFPS received reports from Manitoba Hydro about a major gas leak in the 1800 block of King Edward Street. When crews arrived on scene, natural gas readings were found to be at high levels.

Crews evacuated one commercial building as a precaution. No injuries were reported. A Winnipeg Transit bus was provided as a temporary shelter for evacuees. The Winnipeg Police Service assisted with traffic control in the area.

Manitoba Hydro crews were already on scene. The gas is now safely ventilating into the atmosphere. WFPS crews departed the scene at 11:30 a.m. Roads are beginning to open, but southbound King Edward Street remains closed at Logan Avenue.

Rathgar Avenue

At 10:54 a.m., the WFPS responded to reports of a gas leak in a single-family home in the 600 block of Rathgar Avenue. When crews arrived on scene, natural gas could be heard coming from an area that was recently excavated.

In addition to the home where the gas leak occurred, crews evacuated three neighbouring homes as a precaution. No injuries were reported.

Manitoba Hydro crews responded and are working to stop the leak.

Residents are reminded of the following safety tips:

  • Signs of a natural gas leak include rotten egg smell, bubbles in a ditch or waterway, dirt being blown into the air, distinct patches of dead or discoloured vegetation, or a loud hissing noise.
  • If you suspect a natural gas leak, leave the area immediately and call 911, even if you think it’s minor.
  • Natural gas is flammable. Do not smoke, light matches or lighters, operate electrical switches, appliances, phones, vehicles or create any other source of ignition or sparks anywhere near a gas leak.
  • Ensure you have a home escape plan and that all members of your household are familiar with it.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.

View original article here Source