September 4, 2019
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update: Gas Leak
Released: 5:57 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – At 3:54 p.m. on September 4, 2019, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to reports of a gas leak near the intersection of Strathcona Street and St. Matthews Avenue. Once on scene it was determined that a construction contractor ruptured a three quarter inch gas line.
WFPS is working under a unified command structure with the gas company to ensure the safety of residents and all workers. It is believed the gas is safely venting into the atmosphere; however, out of an abundance of caution, crews have evacuated 16 residences in the immediate area.
Manitoba Hydro is working to repair the damaged lines. At this point, there is no timeline on when they may be completed.
Traffic on both St. Matthews Avenue and Strathcona Street is closed in all directions and is expected to remain closed until repairs are completed.