Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update Jefferson Avenue Fire

March 14, 2019


Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update Jefferson Avenue Fire

Released: 2:20 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 10:35 a.m. on March 14, 2019, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to reports of smoke in a home in the 800 block of Jefferson Avenue. Upon arrival, crews found smoke coming from a light fixture. Opening up the ceiling into the attic, crews were able to locate and extinguish the fire. It was declared under control at 11:15 a.m.

Occupants of the home had self-evacuated prior to WFPS crews’ arrival. No injuries were reported.

Preliminary observations suggest the fire was caused by an electrical issue or malfunction of a kitchen fan. No damage estimates are available at this time.

Residents are reminded of the following safety tips to ensure the risk posed by exhaust fans is minimized:

  • All exhaust fans should be inspected and cleaned regularly.
  • When cleaning a fan, the cover should be removed to remove lint and/or grease buildup. The cover should be washed in warm, soapy water and dried thoroughly before reinstalling.
  • If a fan has any evidence of damage it should be replaced. If a fan makes an unusual noise, such as a squeal, it should be inspected. This sort of sound can be a sign of a failed motor bearing which can cause heat to build up in the motor.
  • Exhaust fans should only be run for brief periods of time, such as during a shower or when cooking. You should never run these fans when not at home. Residents can consider installing a timer switch to limit the use of a fan.