Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update: McPhillips Street Fire

March 12, 2019


Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update: McPhillips Street Fire

Released: 7:26 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At 2:54 a.m. on March 12, 2019 Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey house in the 700 block of McPhillips Street. Initial reports indicated two occupants may be trapped inside the structure, however upon arrival on scene crews established that all occupants had self-evacuated. Crews launched an interior, offensive attack and quickly located and extinguished the fire.

No injuries were reported and no damage estimates are available. The fire was contained to one area of the house and occupants were able to return for the night.

The WFPS Fire Investigator attended the scene. Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, resulting from unsafe use of a portable space heater. Residents are reminded when using a portable space heater to follow these important safety tips:

  • Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
  • Keep the heater at least one metre (3 feet) away from anything that can burn
  • Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
  • Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
  • Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
  • Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
  • Keep children away from the space heater.
  • Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
  • Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.