November 14, 2018
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update
Released: 9:33 a.m.
Wayoata Street Fire
Winnipeg, MB – At 7:43 p.m. on November 13, 2018, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to a fire in a side-by-side residence in the 900 block of Wayoata Street. Upon arrival, an offensive attack was launched and the fire was quickly extinguished.
All occupants of the residence had self-evacuated prior to crews’ arrival. The neighbouring structure was evacuated for precautionary reasons. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire is under investigation and no damage estimates are available at this time.
Lipton Street Fire
At 8:08 p.m. on November 13, 2018, WFPS crews responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey, vacant commercial structure in the 800 block of Lipton Street. Upon arrival, crews discovered a well-involved fire and launched an exterior attack as it was deemed unsafe to enter the building.
It took approximately three hours to bring the fire under control. Using the WFPS unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV or drone), crews were able to precisely target hot spots.
No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is under investigation and no damage estimates are available at this time.
Road closures in place for the Santa Claus Parade this Saturday
Parade goers advised to expect delays, plan ahead and allow additional travel time to get to and from their destinations
Released: 10:00 a.m.
Winnipeg, MB – This Saturday, November 17, 2018, starting at 1:30 p.m. until approximately 8 p.m., numerous road closures will be in place in the downtown to accommodate the Santa Claus Parade:
- Portage Avenue will be closed from Sherbrook Street to Main Street
- Portage Avenue East will be closed from Main Street to Westbrook Street
- Hargrave Street, Colony Street, Vaughn Street, Kennedy Street, Edmonton Street, Garry Street, Fort Street, Carlton Street, Donald Street, and Smith Street will be closed at Portage Avenue
- Main Street southbound will be closed between McDermot Avenue and Graham Avenue
- Main Street northbound will be closed between St. Mary Avenue and Portage Avenue
- Pioneer Avenue westbound will be closed between Main Street and Westbrook Street
- Westbrook Street southbound will be closed between Portage Avenue East and William Stephenson Way
- William Stevenson Way eastbound will be closed between Main Street and Waterfront Drive
It is recommended that attendees download and use the Waze app for real-time traffic and incident updates and detour routes around the parade.
It is also important to note that Winnipeg Transit will be re-routing buses operating in the vicinity of the Santa Claus Parade. The re-routes will be in effect from approximately 1:30 p.m. until 11 p.m. For route and schedule information, visit Winnipeg Transit or contact 311.
Visit Winnipeg Santa Claus Parade for more information.
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update: Saturn Bay Fire
Released: 3:37 p.m.
Winnipeg, MB – At 1:36 p.m. on November 14, 2018, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) crews responded to a report of fire in a single-family residence in the 0-100 block of Saturn Bay. Upon arrival, crews discovered heavy smoke and an offensive attack was launched to quickly extinguish the fire.
One occupant of the home was transported to hospital in stable condition. The cause of the fire is under investigation and no damage estimates are available at this time.