Critical injuries when Winnipeg home engulfed in flames and smoke

WINNIPEG – Two people are in hospital after an overnight house fire in Winnipeg.

Emergency authorities say the two-storey home was engulfed in flames and smoke when firefighters arrived at the scene in the 0-100 block of Prince Edward Street shortly before 2:30 a.m.

Two people managed to get out of the building before crews arrived.

Officials say one of them was critically injured while the second person was in unstable condition.

A separate fire at an empty two-storey apartment block in the 400 block of Maryland Street Thursday evening resulted in a firefighter being taken to hospital.

There is no immediate word on that person’s condition.