WINNIPEG — The Manitoba government will be announcing more public health restrictions on Friday.
At a news conference, Premier Brian Pallister said Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer, will be announcing additional restrictions that will come into effect immediately.
Roussin’s news conference will be at 6 p.m. CTV News Winnipeg will live-stream the event online and broadcast it on television during our CTV News at Six newscast.
The premier said these restrictions are necessary to ensure Manitoba does not impose an additional burden onto the health-care system.
“Our health orders that were introduced just last week, we’re adding to the restrictions we already had,” Pallister said.
“It is very, very difficult in this short term, over the past week, to ascertain what the impact of those restrictions will be. Obviously, we all hope it will be positive, but generally it takes a couple of weeks before you can measure the impact of additional restrictions.”
The premier said the new measures will be implemented out of an “abundance of caution,” noting that the vaccine numbers have created a false sense of security.
“These measures are necessary. Again, I hope they’re only necessary for a few weeks’ time.”
Last week, the province introduced new public health orders, which included not allowing visitors at people’s homes, either indoors or outdoors; limiting capacity at faith-based gatherings, as well as at other businesses; and limiting spectators at outdoor sports and recreation facilities.
This is a developing story. More details to come.
– With files from CTV’s Jon Hendricks.
View original article here Source