Trial for two men accused of killing Winnipeg teen in home invasion begins today

WINNIPEG — The trial for two men accused of killing a Winnipeg teen during a home invasion begins today.

Jaime Adao, 17, was killed on March 3, 2019.

At the time of the incident, he was at home with his grandmother when, according to police, an attacker broke into the McGee Street home and assaulted the teen with a weapon. Adao was taken to the hospital where he later died.

At the time of the attack, police shot suspect Ronald Bruce Chubb, 29. He survived and was charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder.

Investigators believe a second person was inside the home during the homicide.

Winnipeg’s Geordie Delmar James, 34, was arrested while in custody at the Headingley Correctional Centre. He was charged with manslaughter.

Adao was a high school senior at Tec Voc High School. 

His aunt, Roxanne Roy, spoke to CTV News Winnipeg last year and described her nephew as a star.

“He was very determined,” she said.

Adao’s parents moved from the Philippines to Manitoba through the provincial nominee program and opened two bakeries.

Roy said Adao’s parents passed down their love of baking to their son.

“He wanted to do something that could keep his family’s legacy so he wanted to do baking,” she said. “He loves to bake.”

In June 2019, Booth University College’s faculty of businesses and administration gave Adao’s parents an honourary diploma in memory of the teen.

This is a developing story. More details to come.

View original article here Source