Firefighters dealing with ‘toxic exposure’ after asphalt plant fire, says union boss

Firefighters were still on the scene Tuesday morning putting out hot spots after a fire burned millions of litres of liquid asphalt in the RM of Springfield Monday.Thick, toxic smoke spewed from the fire and firefighters were exposed to a number of carcinogens, said Alex Forrest, President of the United Firefighters of Winnipeg.READ MORE: Fire out at Transcona Asphalt plant near Winnipeg’s east Perimeter“I talked to a number of the members that were there and they said it was one of the worst fires that they had fought,” Forrest told 680CJOB Tuesday morning.“What we’re dealing with now today is the incredible toxic exposure that these firefighters had,” he added.“There’s solvents, different chemicals such as benzine, … firefighters injest these chemicals, absorb these chemicals and they also breathe these chemicals when they go on a scene like this.”The blaze began around 10 a.m. at Pounder Emulsions at 2800 Day Street but crews had the fire out by the afternoon.