Gas line rupture ends classes, triggers evacuation, at Manitoba school

A school and some neighbouring homes in a southern Manitoba community had to be evacuated when a natural gas line was accidentally cut at a nearby construction site.

There were no reports of injuries when the rupture happened Friday morning in Kleefeld, about 60 km south of Winnipeg.

Hanover fire Chief Paul Wiebe said the construction site is adjacent to the kindergarten-to-Grade 8 school.

READ MORE: 46 people taken to hospital after carbon monoxide leak at Winnipeg hotel

The Hanover School Division issued a statement, saying that the RCMP and fire officials had deemed the school unsafe to re-enter and that students had been taken to safe places.

Classes were cancelled for the rest of the day and parents and guardians were asked to pick up their children as soon as possible.

The division’s website said authorities expect the school to be open on Monday.

Story continues below advertisement

Gas leak triggers evacuation of some downtown Winnipeg buildings

Gas leak triggers evacuation of some downtown Winnipeg buildings

© 2019 The Canadian Press