Health officials give live update on Manitoba coronavirus numbers Tuesday

Manitoba health officials will answer reporters’ questions about the province’s ongoing efforts to curb COVID-19 Tuesday.

Dr. Brent Roussin, Manitoba’s chief public officer of health and the province’s chief nursing officer, Lanette Siragusa have scheduled a press conference for 12:30 p.m.

Read more: Coronavirus: All of Manitoba moving into Level Red Thursday, tough new restrictions to be implemented

Global News will stream the event live in this story.

The media briefing comes just hours after Roussin announced the entire province will move into Level Red or critical later this week.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Manitoba announces 365 new cases, 3 new deaths' Coronavirus: Manitoba announces 365 new cases, 3 new deaths

Coronavirus: Manitoba announces 365 new cases, 3 new deaths

Starting Thursday, non-essential retail outlets will be limited to curbside pickup and delivery, and churches will not have in-person gatherings.

Story continues below advertisement

Social gatherings with anyone other than household members will be forbidden, and restaurants, museums, theatres and recreational activities must close.

Schools will remain open as the province’s chief public health officer says officials are not seeing much transmission within schools.

Read more: Manitoba reports 3 deaths, 365 new coronavirus cases, more personal care home outbreaks Monday

Roussin said the new orders are a response to weeks of increasing COVID-19 cases in Manitoba that are putting strain on the province health system.

Premier Brian Pallister also announced a new program to help small businesses affected by the restrictions Tuesday.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Called the Manitoba Bridge Grant, it will provide $5,000 to small businesses before Christmas, and perhaps another $5,000 after the new year.

Climbing case counts

Over 2,000 new cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Manitoba over the last last week, just short of a quarter of all confirmed cases in Manitoba.

The numbers continued to climb Monday as the province reported three more deaths as well as 365 new cases of the virus.

The new cases bring Manitoba’s total number of reported cases to 8,495 and the province’s COVID-19 death toll too 109.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: Maples long-term care families react to COVID-19 outbreak: ‘I can’t let my dad die in there’

There were 192 people in hospital with 28 in intensive care as of Monday, according to provincial data.

On Monday Manitoba’s chief nursing officer Lanette Siragusa said a health care worker connected to an outbreak at Victoria Hospital in Winnipeg had become the first in the province to die from COVID-19.

Three of Winnipeg’s hospitals currently have outbreaks, and outbreaks have been declared at  23 of the city’s 28 personal care homes.

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Winnipeg Regional Health Authority president apologizes, offers condolences over care home deaths' Coronavirus: Winnipeg Regional Health Authority president apologizes, offers condolences over care home deaths

Coronavirus: Winnipeg Regional Health Authority president apologizes, offers condolences over care home deaths

One of those personal care outbreaks have led to calls on the province to take over care — or even bring in the military — after city paramedics and multiple ambulances were called in to help deal with the critical health concerns of several residents at Maples Personal Care Home Friday night.

Story continues below advertisement

Two who died that night were part of a 48-hour span that saw eight residents die. Paramedics provided hydration, transport to hospital and other services over the span of several hours and the city says it will continue to provide rapid response support for the facility for the rest of the week.

Read more: Revera apologizes after ‘less than accurate’ staffing data given at Maples PCH

The owner of Maples Personal Care Home was forced to apologize Monday evening after officials from the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority said the company had provided “less than accurate” information on the number of staff that had been working at the facility Friday.

Revera initially said it had 13 of the normal 19 health care aides working the evening shift last Friday, but the actual number of health care aides who were on duty for much of that shift in the 200-bed facility was seven, the WRHA said Monday.

–With files from Elisha Dacey and The Canadian Press

Click to play video 'Coronavirus: Tighter restrictions coming to southern Manitoba' Coronavirus: Tighter restrictions coming to southern Manitoba

Coronavirus: Tighter restrictions coming to southern Manitoba

Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know:

Story continues below advertisement

Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing — very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.

To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out. In situations where you can’t keep a safe distance from others, public health officials recommend the use of a non-medical face mask or covering to prevent spreading the respiratory droplets that can carry the virus. In some provinces and municipalities across the country, masks or face coverings are now mandatory in indoor public spaces.

For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

View original article here Source