Emergency crews were called to Maples Personal Care Home Friday night, according to the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service, to deal with a number of COVID-19 patients.
The care home is in the midst of a COVID-19 outbreak — 12 people have died due to COVID-19 at that facility, with three of those deaths announced Saturday.
As of Friday, the facility has 166 active cases.
The facility has added up a total of 176 cases since the pandemic started with 121 patients and 55 staff infected.
On Friday, one person was taken to hospital in critical condition, another two were transported in stable condition, the City of Winnipeg confirmed in an email.
Another 12 patients were assessed by paramedics, and a number of patients were treated on scene.
The city says their first 911 call came in at 7:10 p.m. from the facility.
A paramedic unit attended and transported one patient to hospital.
Two minutes later at 7:12 p.m. another 911 call was received and an ambulance with two paramedics and a district chief of paramedic operations responded and assessed 11 patients, finishing just before 2 a.m.
During that time, the city says two more ambulances responded and transported two other patients who required hospital care.
On Twitter Health Minister Cameron Friesen chimed in saying he was “devastated to learn today about the situation at Maples LTC Home,” adding that at 3:24 p.m. he had just come out of an urgent meeting with Revera, department officials and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.
Opposition leader Wab Kinew released a report on the incident Saturday saying paramedics shouldn’t be expected to fill in for the failures of the provincial government.
“The reports of paramedics providing life saving care to residents of Maples PCH is shocking and deeply concerning,” he said.
“It’s long past time for the province to step in and take over control of Maples and Parkview Place PCHs. The Pallister Government needs to step in today to make sure seniors and residents are receiving the care they need. Lives are hanging in the balance and there is no reason for delay. In addition, the province should call on any resource including the military or Red Cross to help so these residents are safe.”
Earlier this week the Canadian Red Cross was called in to help at the Maples Personal Care Home and Parkview Place.
In a statement to Global News late Tuesday, Manitoba Health Minister Cameron Friesen said a letter had been sent to the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness earlier in the day, officially asking for federal support through the Canadian Red Cross.
“Initially, health system leaders are working with the Red Cross to assess the ability to assist at Parkview Place and Maples Long Term Care Home,” Friesen said.
“The specific role of the Red Cross is still being finalized and more details will be released in the days to come.”
Parkview Place Long Term Care Home and Maples Personal Care Home — both run by the private company, Revera — said they’re working with the Red Cross and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority on a plan “to provide additional staffing resources to support the residents with delivery of meals, recreation activities and companionship, maintaining isolation in rooms.”
Global News has emailed Revera for comment but has yet to hear back.
Parkview Place as of Friday has had 147 total cases, 111 patients and 36 staff with 111 active cases remaining and 23 deaths.
–With files from Amber McGuckin, Erik Pindera and Shane Gibson.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
View original article here Source